Saturday 16 April 2016

The Bombay Canteen, Lower Parel.


This place has a classy and quirky look with a formal ambience. This review has been due for a longer time  and now I am happy to finally round it off. As I am writing this review, my mouth is watering just thinking about the food.

The yellow rickshaw at the entrance with high Ceilings and bricked wall give it an old Bombay look. As it is tucked in kamla mill compound you can except some corporate crowd at day time and on weekends this restaurant runs full and you might have to wait a little to get a table (They dont take  reservations).
The Bombay Canteen Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato    View my food journey on Zomato!

Honestly speaking, I got confused with the menu as it contained things which I generally avoid eating at home -arbi, baingans, the legendary ALU Vadi which I am avoiding since I was born. and some which I eat very often being a punjabi - Gobi, parathas, sarson ka saag etc etc..
As I was with one of my hard core Vegetarian friend - the non-veg was out of bound for me..


It took me a little while as I was going through the menu again and again in search of something that is different and I can order.

We started off with the Egg Kejriwal as it seemed simple yet it was an  amazing affair. The thepala Tacos and kutchi Dabeli were good and something innovative.
For drinks I have called for a Passion Fruit Ice tea and it was refreshing and brilliant.



Every dish is unique and has a whole different taste - just like the varied culture of our Country. The staff was courteous and patient enough and guided us through the menu and recommend some of the good dishes. The service is very efficient and well organised as they knew the servers has to spend a good amount of time recommend and guiding guest through the simple yet complicated menu.
Speaking about the main course
The crispy Alu Vadi's dunked in a subtle and lightly spiced Dahi Curry and served with a side portion of Kandha poha

.
























I missed their Kothu Roti with the pumpin Gravy but sadly they have removed it from their menu and  was Disappointed that i couldn't try their "Sea food bhel" as i sworn upon my best friend that i will try this as i visit this place.

The Gulab nut and chai popsicles were the perfect end to this gastronomical fare.


PS - Old world  charm gets complimented very well by the contemporary rich indian Cuisine - Might not be everyone's cup of tea but this is the place if you are looking for desi food with a twist.

View my food journey on Zomato!                                            View my food journey on Zomato!

No comments:

Post a Comment